An automated data backup service to ensure security and availability of both administration and curriculum data, providing both backup and archiving functions. This service is available to all settings subscribing to the TwS Internet service.
Backups are essential protection that will allow a school to be able to access critical data in the event of disaster (e.g. fire or flood).
Archiving is a separate function that allows files that have been accidently deleted or modified to be recovered as they were at specific dates in the past (e.g. earlier versions of documents).
Files are centrally stored on remote servers within the council’s network in two separate locations, complying with DPA requirements regarding location of data.
Details of the Service
- Data backups are carried out each night Monday to Friday.
- Data cannot be accessed outside the Bristol Schools network, except by arrangement (e.g. in the event of an emergency relocation of your school).
- The service can back up both administration and curriculum data in a single package, depending on the school’s requirements.
- Data is held securely away from the school in two separate locations in Bristol.
- Schools can nominate members of staff to access the backed up data, and restore it via the easy-to-use interface. Alternatively, the Schools IT Helpdesk can restore the data.
- School retains ownership of backed-up data.
Who can access your data to retrieve files
Schools can nominate members of staff who can access the backed up data, and restore it via the easy-to-use interface. Alternatively, the Schools IT Helpdesk can restore the data.
Data cannot be retrieved outside the Bristol schools network, as the servers are not accessible externally.
Backup Retention Details
|Please contact us for retention details as we are moving to a new system which will improve the retention period further.|
How do I know how much backup volume I need?
If you purchase all of your ICT services from TwS, call our helpdesk on 0117 90 37999 and they will advise you. If you purchase ICT services from a different supplier you can ask them what the total volume of your data is.